CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Introducing...

Yeah!! He is here!! Baby McEwen (we are going to come up with a nickname for the blog for him, so sorry, his real name won't be posted on here-but I will email everyone that I have email addresses for and tell you his name. So for now he is baby McEwen) Baby McEwen was born on Tues. Aug. 26th at 9:04 pm. He weighed 7.5 pounds and was 19.5 inches long. He is just cutest thing ever and we love him to death!!!!!!
Here's a synopsis of the delivery. My water broke on Tues. morning at 1 am, without any real signs of labor leading up to it (I did have some funny feeling that something was going to happen soon though...it was weird). I had to go to the hospital though, because you must deliver within 24 hrs. of your water breaking. We got to the hospital at about 2 am and I was at 2 cm, but not really contracting so we started walking the halls over and over again. At 6 am I was still at a 2 and the Dr. said I was probably going to have to go on pitocin to help labor start if I wasn't progressing soon. So we walked some more and at around 9:30 I was at a 3, so he said I could keep walking and see how it was. By 12 I was almost at a 4 and was told that if by 2 I wasn't closer to a 5 they were going to start pitocin. I guess it wasn't my day and my "birthing plan" was way out the window, so I got started on pitocin and my contractions really started intensifying and coming on quicker. By 4 pm I was in the worst pain ever and when they checked me I was only at a 5...I just about died!! I was finally thinking an epidural might be in the near future for me because I hadn't slept or eaten in over 24 hours and I still had so much farther to go and push and it all had to happen within my 24 hour time frame or else it was going to be a c-section--AHHH! I didn't know how much strength I was going to have. I got through a few more contractions and Creighton and I talked about it, and decided that an epidural was the right path for me at that point. I got the epidural and my left side started to feel better...but not the right side. I was in excrutiating pain on my right side and it never actually went numb. They told me to wait it out, give myself another boost of the medicine, the Dr. gave me more medicine, but nothing was working. Finally at about 7:30 a different anesthesiologist came in and said I should have my epidural redone--I was not excited about that, because I was so weak and sick and was going to have to sit still to have them redo it through the contractions, but I made it and then life was great. I of course was at 9 1/2 cm by now, but I got to relax for the first time that day. They let me rest for about an hour or so and then the nurse came and checked me and said I was ready to do a few practice pushes. I was ready to go so she went and go the Dr. I started pushing at about 5 to 9 pm. After 3 pushes his head was crowning, but his heart rate dropped drastically so they got some forceps and on the next push his head was out, and then one more and he was here at 9:04 pm (only 11 days early). Nurses from respiratory were there, and so he was taken straight to them and his lungs got cleaned out, but he wasn't breathing well so I got to kiss him for a second and he was taken downstairs. Creighton went with him and they did some more suction from his lungs and put him on a c-pap. After we were in our new room on the mother/baby floor he was finally brought to us at about 11:30--9 months to get here, and then we still had to wait for our little guy, it was so hard. And that's the gist of it.
He is such a good baby, so calm and peaceful. I couldn't ask for anything more. I never knew how much I was going to love him, and worried about it sometimes, but it is so true what everyone says about how you just fall in love with them and as a mom there isn't anything you wouldn't do for them. He is everything to me and he makes me so happy. I am just so glad that I have the ability to stay home with him, because I hate how quickly time is going by already and I couldn't imagine missing a second of it. We take pictures of him everyday :) My mom and dad came up on Friday to help and I am so grateful for them. I am a worrier and my mom has been such a comfort to me and a big help. My dad went home on Monday, but my mom is here till Sunday morning and she is having the time of her life too, since he is the first grandchild. Motherhood is great, life is great, and I am as happy as can be.
Sorry it took me so long to get this up, but I hope you enjoy the pictures and the update.







(Creighton went to the BYU game on Saturday and got him these little sockies from the bookstore. He just loved being able to get him some BYU gear and is already planning out the next purchase!) Don't you just love his super cute smile?

10 comments:

Maria said...

Wow that is so exciting! Congrats... he is beautiful!

Erica said...

Congratulations! I think he is absolutely beautiful. I'm glad you are both healthy and that you are loving motherhood already! Congrats again and enjoy every second :)

Young Family said...

Congratulations. I've been checking your blog multiple times a day to see if he was here. I'm glad you are both doing well. I can't wait to hear what his name is.

Brooke said...

Sarah he is so cute! You will have to bring him by sometime soon. This is brooke downs by the way

Mandy said...

Congrats! What a cutie family you have, Sarah! I can't wait to meet him!

Starnes fam said...

Sarah...he is absoultely darling. Congratulations! I am so happy that everything went well and that you are doing great. Soak up every minute when they are so small...it goes by SO quickly!

The Bish Fam said...

He is so adorable! Congratulations! Good luck with everything and enjoy being a mom :)

xoxo

Michelle... said...

Congrats! He looks a lot like his daddy. Have fun and remember to nap when he does - you'll need it these next couple of months. Jessica told me what you named him. Very cute - totally fits.

The Mom said...

Sarah - he's beautiful!!! Sorry we're late with our congratulations (you got to go early - you lucky girl!!) but - CONGRATULATIONS!!!

He is a gorgeous baby and I hope you have soooo much fun with him!!! You'll have to email us with his name :)

Little K says "hi" and she thinks your baby is soooo cute!!!

Camille said...

Sarah I'm so happy for you! He is darling and you look amazing!